Today’s topic isn’t something you will hear many people discuss at dinner parties, however, it is something that impacts thousands of professionals across North America. This issue is storage tank corrosion. One thing is clear, corrosion is the number one enemy of a storage vessel. This shortens the life of a tank, increases the risk of contamination, and therefore, leads to storage tank failure. So, how can we prevent this? Patrick Smyth, President of Octane Systems Inc and well versed in this topic, will be joining the show to walk us through everything we need to know about this common problem.
Patrick has been providing services in controlling diesel corrosion in emergency generators, diesel storage tanks, and the diesel infrastructure for years and has a lot to share on this subject. Listen in as he explains the link between biodiesel, water, and corrosion, as well as the issues with biodiesel that need to be addressed. You will learn what tests you should be using to ensure your storage vessel remains corrosion-free, what happens if you don’t take care of your storage tank, and more.
Listen to the Full Episode:
What You'll Learn:
- The link between biodiesel, water and corrosion.
- Why there has been an increase in corrosion in the diesel infrastructure.
- The SAE J1488 standards-based solution to control corrosion in stored diesel.
- The issues with biodiesel that should be addressed.
- The tests to run on your biodiesel.
- Why it is essential that you take care of your storage tanks.
- What will happen if you end up having corrosion.
- What parts of the tank are more prone to corrosion.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
- “Filters can’t remove the water.” - Pat Smyth
- “Traditional water tests for tanks do not work.” - Pat Smyth
- “Biodiesel has changed what you have to look for.” - Pat Smyth
- “Corrosion never sleeps.” - Pat Smyth
- “If you have biofilm, you’re going to have excessive corrosion underneath that.” - Pat Smyth
- “To anyone who has a tank, especially long-term storage, do all of your regular testing.” - Pat Smyth
- Pat Smyth: LinkedIn
- Octane Systems
Share this Article!Tweet
Make Sure You Don't Miss An Episode!
Get an email when a new Fuel Pulse Show episode drops!
Leave a Comment